PRINCETON HALL

COUNTRY HOUSE AT PLATAMON
22/05/2017
LEDA – MARIA COMPLEX OF RESIDENCES
22/05/2017
T

he American Farm School in Thessaloniki is a private non-profitable institution with a more than 95-year long tradition in Agriculture, Stock Farming and Education in Greece. The facilities occupy almost 250 stremmas including cropland, administration buildings, classrooms, residence halls and agricultural facilities.

PRINCETON ΗΑLL is centrally located in the AFS and it is called the ‘Parthenon’ of the school building facilities. It is a neocolonial building whose first construction stage was completed in 1924. Several additions were made until the building got its final form. The earthquakes in 1978 destroyed its largest part, rendering it uninhabitable and necessitated its renovation followed by extensive repairs to its interior and exterior.

STATUS BEFORE INTERVENTION

The building comprises the ground floor, two upper floors and a steep slope attic that allow a layout for areas easy and comfortable to live in. The building’s open Π shaped plan is surrounded by green spaces, an asphalt paved road and sports facilities to the southeast side. The load bearing structure of the building is a mixed type: brickwork and reinforced concrete. The slabs are made of reinforced concrete and the frames are wooden.

The ground floor occupies about 690 square meters and is 2,90m high. The windows, which in many cases, project from the level of the rest of the façade openings, bear metal fencing.

The first floor occupies 1090 square meters and is 3.85 m. high. It connects with the road at the southwest side through a grandiose stairway and at the northwest side through an auxiliary entrance at the floor level.

The second floor, of similar dimensions to the first, connects to the latter and the attic through an interior stairway. Above the attic is a sloping concrete slab roof; the slabs are covered by French style tiles. The second floor is a 417 square meters area, with different heights and a typically large porch along the recess of the southwest main building’s facade. The building also has basic central heating, water supply and drainage systems.

INTERVENTION OBJECTIVES AND FUNCTION PATTERN

To satisfy both the old and new needs of PRINCETON ΗΑLL, the renovation aimed to develop and allow re-operation of the school. In terms of architecture, the intervention retained the buildings’ form, while also considering the various facilities the School aimed to accommodate.

THE INTERVENTION

Before any intervention was made tο the building, there was a detailed surveying of its status. A structure design was also conducted in situ in and samples of structural elements were laboratory tested to establish their strength. It was found that in the several construction stages of the building, diverse types of concrete had been used, which were now damaged, cracked or broken. The bore drilling indicated the necessity for structural intervention at the bearing structure of the building, thus the aim was to reinforce and improve its seismic capacity. At the same time, this structural intervention had to respect the buildings’ architecture.

Publication in "ΚΤΙRΙΟ" journal (issue 43/1991). Participation rate 100%.

DESIGN STUDY - SUPERVISION: CH. KOULOUKOURIS WITH PARTNERS D. ALOUPI, A. KOULOUKOURI, ARCHITECTS
INTERIOR DESIGN: CH. KOULOUKOURIS, CH. IGNATAKIS, K. STILIANIDIS, CIVIL ENGINEER
ELECTROMECHANICAL STUDY - FIRE STUDY: A. & V. KONSTANTINIDIS, ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS
STUDY OF INHIBITION: A. BANOS, ARCHITECT


SPECIAL CONSTRUCTIONS OF ALUMINUM: CH. CHRISTOFORIDIS
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTIONS OF MARBLE: M. MPOLARIS
CERAMIC DECORATION: CH. LANSDEIL
CONTRACTORS: A. TSOKOS, D. KARAKITSOS DESIGN PERIOD: 1982
1984-1986
  • ΓΕΩΡΓΙΚΗ ΣΧΟΛΗ
  • ΓΕΩΡΓΙΚΗ ΣΧΟΛΗ