As part of the growing tourist movement in Thessaloniki, the Turkish Ministry of Culture has decided to maintain and repair the Kemal Ataturk House Museum in Thessaloniki. The building dates back to 1870 and is considered a listed building. Kemal Ataturk was born in 1881.
Our office undertook the coordination of architectural intervention studies, the licensing of the project through EFAPOTH and the Thessaloniki Urban Planning borough, as well as the supervision and delivery of the project for use.
The building consists of two floors and a ground floor with roof tiles. The design of the house is rectangular with dimensions of 13.50m by 6.80m. The facades of the building show architectural elements of the era while on the second floor the ‘sachnisi’ are the only decorative elements of the house.
The project included the color restoration of the interior and exterior faces as well as the maintenance of the individual wood elements on all sides. (doors, windows, sachets, shutters, etc.) Inside there was a new electrical installation to meet the needs of the new exhibition inside the museum. All floors were maintained at all levels while a new cotto floor was installed on the ground floor. Individual glass components were re-manufactured. The public toilets were renovated in the surrounding area and an appropriate glass guardrail and pergola were created for the public. The outer flooring was dismantled and replaced with new while new seating areas serv the visitors. At the same time the garden and the plants were renovated in the courtyard. The entrance to the museum is from Isaya street which was redesigned in combination with the fence of the complex.
Construction was undertaken by GMP Construction.